Meal prepping sucks when we make it difficult and overestimate our skills. It took me a long time to figure out ya GOTTA keep it simple. Let’s break ‘er down.
1. STOCK UP
Having things on hand when you need them is ESSENTIAL. Figure out what you like, make a list and DON’T GO GROCERY SHOPPING HUNGRY, SILLY.
- Vegetables – Cauliflower, brussel sprouts, onion
- Fruits – Plums, bananas, blueberries
- Lean proteins – Chicken breast, bison, turkey
- Fats – Unsalted cashews, EVOO, GF butter
- Starchy carbs – Sweet potatoes, jasmine rice, oats
- Fun sh*t - Teas, cereal, kefir, greek yogurt, cheese, etc
Now let’s calculate quantity
Think 1 cup as 1 serving, so 2 packages of each veggie option should suffice.
Ground turkey (3-4oz per meal) x 10 meals = apx. 36 oz or a bit more than 2lbs.
Keep a big stock on hand, as they last.
- Frozen cooked rice (brown or white, organic preferred)
- Frozen diced sweet potatoes
- Sack of potatoes (any kind)
- Boxes of quinoa, brown rice pasta, etc
Keep a good bottle of EVOO, coconut oil, nut butters & GF butter on hand.
2. SCHEDULE YOUR SESH
Hit the store on Thurs/Fri to save time on Sunday. Personally, I do “revolving prep” where I prep 1-2 items as needed when I am heating meals. It goes like this:
- Select one option each from pro/veg/carb/fat for that meal
- See that rice is low, grab a couple packages from freezer
- Assemble meal in dish & pop in oven
- Grab pot, dump in rice, add 1/8 cup of water, dollop of coconut oil & spices
- Pop cooked rice in glass storage, meal in a bowl and voilá...lunch & prepped starch
3. BEST FRIENDS
- COMPANIES: @dallasprepkitchen, @territoryfoods, Amazon prime, @thrivemkt, @farmbox_delivery, @instacart
- FAV SEASONING/DRESSING: TJ’s spice section, Flavorgod, Primal Palate, etc - for my go-to dressing
- LESS IS MORE: If you are consistent over time, one day you’ll wake up and realize you’re crushing it, effortlessly.